- We kick off this week’s edition of the Ligue 1 roundup with Olympic Lyonnais’ 2-1 defeat to newly promoted side Metz. Lyon only have 3 points in their first four games which, you know… is a bit of a problem. This is a team that’s supposed to be making a charge for a European spot this season and instead are sitting 17th in Ligue 1 after 4 games. They were unimaginative going forward and if it hasn’t been Alexandre Lacazette scoring goals, they’ve been toothless elsewhere. Add to that the massive injury list Lyon has been dealing with plus the never-ending quest for Newcastle to sign Lacazette, and things could continue to be as dysfunctional as it currently is.
- Speaking of toothless, Monaco and Lille played to a 1-1 draw which was noteworthy because it ended Lille’s 331 minute streak of not conceding a goal to start the season. The boy Berba ended the streak with a tap in from Ferreira Carrasco. As it stands now, Falcao is still currently a member of AS Monaco. Their first game after the international break is against Olympic Lyonnais, a big game for two teams who desperately need a win to turn things around.
- PSG are now in second place after their 5-0 destruction of Saint Etienne. Zlatan Ibrahimovic returned from injury to net a hat trick and register a perfect 10 rating on WhoScored, but the game will be remembered for one of the more shambolic displays of goalkeeping you’ll see this season: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1ol6lcNCTM
- Olympique Marseille were brilliant versus Nice in the Mediterranean derby, registering a 4-0 victory at home for their second straight win. Marseille once again played three at the back, a Biesla trademark. Dimitri Payet was great with two goals and two key passes versus Nice. Ayew caused troubles once again in the attacking third in Biesla’s 3-4-3 with 4 Key passes and an assist on Florian Thauvin’s goal. Also note worthy from this match was Abdel Barrada notching his first goal as a member of Olympique de Marseille off of some brilliant trickery from Gianelli Imbula: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPwiSfwyHyU&list=UU58LMAlfwtGRNR6Xpd4DlSA
- Other results from week 4 in Ligue 1: Nantes 1-0 Montpellier, Toulouse 1-0 Evian, Lorient 4-0 Guingamp, Lens 4-2 Reims, Caen 0-1 Rennes, Bordeaux 1-1 Bastia.
- The big matchup to look forward to after the international break is Lyon vs Monaco at the Stade de Gerland. Two teams who have struggled out of the gate, two teams that may sell their top striker at the end of the summer transfer window. It’s the old decrepit giants of Monaco versus the youngsters in Olympic Lyonnais. Also of significance is Bordeaux’s matchup versus Guingamp. Bordeaux currently sit top of the table with 10 points through four games, one of three teams in Ligue 1 who are still undefeated. There’s a 99.99999999% chance that Bordeaux won’t finish top of the table by season’s end, but it’s still cool nonetheless.