- The second international break has passed us by, which means that we’re back to discuss the actions and controversies that occurred in week 10 for Ligue 1. The first week back has delivered 23 goals from the 10 games, with four of them coming in the Friday matchup between Lens and PSG. 3 red cards occurred in the match including one from Edinson Cavani, who after getting a yellow card for his trademark celebration following his penalty conversion got a second yellow card right after for grabbing the ref. Two more red cards followed in quick succession which reduced Lens to 9 men. PSG won the match 3-1 with Yohan Cabaye scoring his first goal in Ligue 1 for PSG, but the main talking points from this match were the red cards given out:
PSG are back in sole possession of 2nd place in Ligue 1 but still remain 7 points back from league leaders Olympic Marseille. Bordeaux are next up but the matchup on Nov 9 versus Marseille will be a must watch.
- Speaking of must watch, Olympic Lyon now move to fourth place in the table following an intoxicating 5-1 victory over Montpellier. It was a bit closer than the score indicates, with Montpellier having two great opportunities to cut Lyon’s 3-0 halftime lead down to 3-2 following Siaka Tiene’s beautiful FK that went past Anthony Lopes. Yohan Gourcuff scored his first two goals in nearly 10 months for Lyon, the second one coming off of a beautiful pass from Christophe Jallet. It was another intoxicating performance for Hurbert Fournier’s side, who’ve demolished Lorient, Lille and now Montpellier in recent weeks. Lacazette has scored 7 non penalty goals in 10 games this year, and Nabil Fekir scored a delightful chip for his 4th goal of the season. Lyon will get to truly test their mettle with a home date versus league leaders Marseille next Sunday at the Stade Gerland.
- Marseille stay seven points clear of second place PSG with a 2-0 victory over Toulouse. Andre Pierre Gignac scored his 10th goal of the season (9th of the NPG variety). The last two previous matchups produced two draws but enough of that, let’s watch Marcelo Bisla versus Random Assistant Who Put a Plastic Cup of Coffee Without Biesla knowing:
- Bordeaux drew 1-1 with Caen after their goalie Cedric Carrasso took the worst angle possible for the Caen equaliser:
- Nantes also drew in their match versus Reims 1-1. Johan Audel scored the opening goal of the match off of a dead ball assist from Jordan Veretout in the 13th minute. Reims equalised in the 58th minute from a Diego FK which denied the hosts a chance to be in 4th place, a remarkable achievement considering they were banned in the summer transfer window from making signing and are also banned for the January transfer window. They have two exciting prospects in playmaking midfielder Veretout, one of the fastest wingers in Ligue 1 in Georges-Kévin Nkoudou Mbida and have posted the 4th best Total Shot Ratio through 10 games at 0.596, a solid statistical indicator for future success.
- Other Scores: Lorient 0-1 Saint Etienne, Lille 1-2 Guingamp, Monaco 2-0 Evian Thonon Galliard, Nice 0-1 Bastia, Metz 0-0 Rennes
- Next week in Ligue 1 comes the first installment of the Choc des Olympiques between Olympic Lyon and Olympic Marseille. Two teams who have been by far the most aesthetically pleasing to watch through ten games. Both teams having prolific goal scorers in red hot form and a host of creative midfielders who can supply their strikers with beautiful through balls. Marseille have slowed down a bit from their torrid goal scoring streak a few weeks ago while Lyon have won three of their last four, scoring 12 goals in the process. This is the best matchup Ligue 1 has seen so far this year, which means the game will be a total dud.